Woodbury Elementary Celebrates Recognition as Unified Champion School
In Loving Memory - Karen Joan Spurlock
Register Now for Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten
Meet Our New Assistant Principal
Woodbury Elementary Ranked Among Nation's Best
Parent Square GGUSD
Dear Woodbury Families,
I am very excited to be a member of the Woodbury community! I hear great things across the board and cannot wait to partner with you and the school staff. I am a strong believer in the importance of the school-home connection to aid our students in reaching their full potential. Our partnership is key! I will be taking the first few months to familiarize myself with Woodbury and will be reaching out to you for your feedback. I hope that you will participate in these opportunities. I have an open door policy and always encourage parents to reach out at any time with questions, comments or concerns.
I have recently spent the last five years as Principal at Mitchell Elementary. It is just down the road and shares many similar traits with Woodbury, including a similar student population and similar initiatives. This experience will undoubtedly be a valuable asset in my transition. As a parent of three young daughters, I fully understand the perspective of a parent and the trust that is placed in an elementary school to not only educate, but truly care for each child on our campus. This is a responsibility that I thoroughly enjoy and pour all of my energy into.
This school year is critical as we transition back into a regular school day. Our priorities for this school year that encompass both Goal 1 and Goal 2 of the GGUSD Strategic Plan will be:
Reconnecting with Students- We have missed our students and we know that they have missed us! Each member of our staff will be looking to reform those vital relationships that create the foundation for learning to take place. School needs to be a positive place for students to thrive and we will again be creating that school environment for them.
Social Emotional Learning- Last school year, Woodbury teachers took unprecedented steps to address the social-emotional needs of their students. The global pandemic took a tremendous toll on all of us, but especially on our students who dealt with uncertainty, loneliness and isolation, family stress from job instability and ill relatives. It will be important that we continue to support our students in this area and we will develop new steps to do so.
Learning Gaps- Inevitably learning gaps have formed with some of our students. Distance Learning is not optimal for the majority of students especially as some households were dealing with internet issues, technology issues, or lack of supervision as parents worked during the day. This school year we will take special care to identify these learning gaps and offer intervention during the school day to help students recover from this difficult time.
Thank you for your continued flexibility in working with us. While we are resuming a full-day, full-week schedule of live instruction, COVID-19 still looms in the background. I cannot say with certainty what this school year holds, but I can promise that we will do everything possible to tend to your child’s physical and mental health while giving them a high quality education.
Greetings students and families!
Welcome to Woodbury Elementary School where our hardworking teachers and staff go above and beyond to provide an exceptional education to our 400 students. We are committed to equipping all students with the academic and personal skills for lifelong success. Our students experience a high level of academic rigor and continue to excel in the classroom.
Our after school programs help extend the learning beyond the school day.
- The College and Career Mentoring Program pairs sixth grade students with a college mentor who serves as a positive role model, helps students with their school work, and teaches them about the path to college and career success.
- Our Boys & Girls Club is up and running for all second through sixth grade students. Students receive homework help and participate in fun academic, artistic, and athletic activities.
- The Intervention Program provides tutoring support for students who need that extra assistance in a specific subject. Teachers assist students by reviewing class concepts, exercises and homework.
- Woodbury's Computer Program teaches scholars important 21st century technology skills. Students become respectful digitally literate citizens as they explore the internet and are taught to use it for educational purposes.
- Our Math Programs teach and review math concepts and lessons with students as a means to prepare them for standardized testing as well as upper grade math. Students explore the theory and reasoning behind math problems, applying them to real world scenarios.
- The 100-Mile Club creates the personal goal for students of running up to 100 miles by the end of the year. From this program, comes our family fun-run event, known as "The Color Run!"
- Our Art Program brings out students' artistic talents and allows them an opportunity to learn real-world skills from professional artists.
- Wednesdays are College and Career Awareness days. Students learn important college readiness skill and begin exploring their college and career interests and goals.
Woodbury staff and teachers regularly recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of our students with monthly awards for character, scholarly habits, and attendance. Parents also receive awards for high levels of parent engagement.
We're grateful for our parent volunteers who do so much to enhance the school experience, including fundraising campaigns to support a variety of educational assemblies, our after-school robotics program, and annual family events that promote a healthy school community.
We are looking forward to another great school year at Woodbury thanks to our amazing students, staff and parents!